Thursday, December 14, 2017

Temple Poem

by Bethroot Gwynn

It is not just that I love one woman
Invite her into the hushed temple of my most sacred self
Travel with her into the far corners
of her most private being.

It is not just that I am coupled;
I have coupled with her, and with her, and with her.
I am tripled, and quadrupled.
I am a throng of worshippers
reverent before our own images
jubilant to invent our own litanies.


I, quietly, by the thousands,
have stepped into a shrine of my own making.
I, and the multitudes of women who have slipped
silently away from the man's ceremonies.

Quickly!  Here is our path --
They never imagine that we have dared to come
right into the heartbeat of Love
naming it Woman,    calling it Holy,
They never suspect that we will decorate the altar with mirrors
dance praise to breast and womb    as it was in the beginning.

As it is now,   the tabernacle is invisible
and they cannot read our codes.
Sister pilgrims file into the circle,
we speak in tongues of song and drum
Shhh!   Do not chant the mysteries outside!
Blasphemy;  this love of ourselves
Heresy;  this adoring.

I have peered behind the inmost veil
and discovered a myriad ofg me --
I, and all these tribeswomen, charmed with power to fire galaxies
mapping new ventures of soul
spell-bound to each other and to the earth
as it evermore shall be.

from PreacherWoman for the Goddess
Poems, Invocations, Plays and Other Holy Writ
by Bethroot Gwynn
Published by Mother Tongue Ink 2017

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! so glad i have found this website. You are an inspiration and a blessing, Bethroot!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments too! Please keep them in the spirit of the Group.