Friday, May 22, 2020


Peaches and Cherries     

Each September
you bring me peaches
picked from the drooping branches
of your carefully tended trees.
You select the best, unblemished
caressing the velvet
of sun-touched fuzzy globes, 
rose-tinged gold.


Your fingers place each fruit
carefully in a box of cardboard
the color of earth,
the fragrance of wood fiber,
and paper once used in other lives.

You place the box
filled with juicy delight
cautiously, gently 
into my eager hands.
Our fingers do not touch
the fragrant box of edible sunshine
our only physical connection.

Later, alone
I enjoy the first tender taste.
Slowly, I savor the sweet fruit,
my lips wet with juices
escaping from the parted flesh.
A drop, then two,
slip down my chin,
fall, and slide down my breast
coming to rest, and dry sweetly
on my left nipple.

On a sunny June day
I pick cherries
red and swollen from perfect light
interrupted only by starry nights
and the dappling of surrounding leaves.

I delight in the long curve of my arm
reaching into the depths of the tree,
the warm red juice staining my fingers,
and memories of last summer’s peaches.

Each cherry is unique
one a little fatter, another more crimson,
another smiling lusciously 
with two well placed dimples.

I place each cherry, singly, 
into a round basket of finely woven fibers
until it fills, and some overflow,
dropping to the moist soil
and quickly stolen by greedy blue jays.

Shyly, I offer you the basket
Cautiously, I hold it from the base
as you lift it by the braided handle.
The sun glistens on your silky hair
as you choose the first small, plump globe.

You tilt your head slightly
as your mouth curves into a smile,
then opens to the ripe cherry,
savoring the juice of my many tiny gifts.
A scarlet drop slides 
from the corner of your smile,
to your chin, and finally
beneath the fold of your collar.

The juices of peach and cherry
mingle in my imagination
but their ripening seasons don’t coincide.
They remain delicious and sensual pleasures
but always separate.


Donna Lee Taylor ©February 2006

1 comment:

  1. Bringing these two fruits together in a way that become a 'senual pleasure" is amazing. Considering cherries have been know to be one of the most sexiest fruit and combined with the peach which "develops from a single ovary that ripens" I will take a cherry, please*

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments too! Please keep them in the spirit of the Group.